Step One: Set Your Top 5 Life Priorities: in each area of your life, take stock in whom and what is important to you and fills your soul. Click here to see mine, as an example.
Step Two: Write down Your Top 10 Goals: Specific Details on what you’d like to accomplish; measurable and with a deadline; that align with your Life Priorities. Click here to see mine, as an example.
Today, we tackle > >
Step Three: The Motherlode List: a long, ever-changing list of mini action steps for each of Your Top 10 Goals.
The Motherlode List is a big, hairy, time-consuming step, but absolutely necessary if you want to see results. How else will you achieve each of those Goals to live the life according to your Priorities? Planning and Action!
The Action Steps on my Motherlode list would be…
What I need to do and How I’m going to do it
Look at your goals. Some may require a bit of research first. Say, your goal is to publish your novel by x date. How are you going to get there? Well, of course you need to start with the obvious – have a finished novel : )
- Write novel
- Revise novel
- Woo beta readers with chocolate and get their feedback
- Revise novel again
- Subscribe to agentquery.com or similar Literary Agent search / book
- Research blogs, websites and Twitter feeds of authors you admire, and then their agents!
- Begin marketing your book
- Write Query letter
- Revise Query letter
- Send Query letter
- Continue marketing your book
- Upon inquiry, send manuscript – or sample chapters and/or synopsis to agent
- Sign book deal : )
- Start another round of revisions
- Continue marketing your book, go on tour, and make appearances
- Begin next novel
These Action Steps are just a rough outline and will be different for everyone.
Since most of these are a big action step in themselves, you’d break it down even further – into mini action steps and set a deadline for each mini action step.
For example, if you’re on the step Woo beta readers with chocolate and get their feedback, you’d probably …
- Start by identifying your readership.
- Next, determine if anyone in your circle of friends or colleagues fit the bill
- Then, decide of those above, whose opinion do you value? Are they avid readers of your genre? Do they have writing and /or editing skills? Would they provide constructive criticism?
- Next, reach out to your selected beta readers: ask if they’d be willing to read and provide feedback on your novel. Consider your time line and ask if can they deliver feedback within that frame. (Offer chocolate in form of payment!)
- Know what kind of feedback you are looking for. Character development? Plot holes? Verb usage, etc.?
- Send ms in a format they prefer to read – pdf or hard copy, entire book or one chapter at a time, etc.
Get the idea?
Currently, my Motherlode List has 76 Action Steps! Yikes! Quite overwhelming.
Except, as I review my Top Priorities daily I focus my energy like a laser beam, not a flood light. From my Motherlode List, I’ve prioritized deadlines by this week, this month, this quarter, this year.
Then I take it one week at a time, sometimes broken down by day. That’s it. I’m not looking ahead, I’m not getting buried. Yes, I struggle with distractions, I just have to keep my “eye on the prize!”
Instructions for you: Each week, review your Motherlode List, comparing it to your weekly calendar of commitments. Survey your available time or time you can make for your goals: ) Write down the action steps you can take this week. Feel the exhilaration of crossing.off.each.step. Slowly, you will conquer the chaos!
Don’t let me sweat it alone – share your progress with me!
**If you would like to see my Action List for my #1 Priority of Getting to and Maintaining a healthy size 4, SUBSCRIBE to this blog, and then respond here in the comments! I will email it to you! (Current subscribers, just drop me a line below!)