- read a book outside your normal genre (broadens your capacity for story ideas and styles)
- listen to music and soak up the sounds and lyrics (seeps into your creative soul)
- review some books and blogs on personal narrative or personal essays (wide range of topics can spark a theme for your novel)
- flip through the lifestyle and letters to editors sections of your local paper (ask what if? try to see the story from another angle – enough material to write a novel?)
- read On Writing, by Stephen King. Just do it. It will start a fire in your belly for writing again.