…in writing, marketing, teaching, and life!
- Need help with a 1-minute pitch for your book? I found this link, which is a free pitch generator
- This week on writelikeCRAZY (Where young writers gather) I’ve been talking about creating characters. Found this interesting software for more tips! Character Writer 3.0
- Found on Twitter (I signed up for TweetBeep: alerts when someone mentions you, your handle, your links, etc. also tracks ReTweet’s)
http://www.meryl.net/2009/01/50-writer-uses-for-twitter/ This is all a part of the social networking etiquette. If someone mentions me, I will know and can reciprocate (or at least tweet a “thanks!”)
- Used Mr Tweet to find relevant suggestions /recc’s for those to follow on Twitter (provides lists who follows them, who has RT’d or mentioned them in tweets.) This is helpful, because I will see tweets that relate to my industry, learn about news,contest, etc; find links and possibly buddies!
- Linked to a great site for Public Relations help. Tips on writing and tweaking your own Press Releases and there is even a Press Release formatting guideline
- I’ve been reading Writing Magic, Creating Stories That Fly, by Gail Carson Levine which offers young writers a wealth of tips on fiction writing, including prompts.
- Ha! Always learning in this category. I’m a control freak. Yes, I’ve said it before and it bears repeating. Control freaks have a phobia about asking for help, but I’m slowly overcoming that fear. This week, I needed to reach out for help on things beyond my experience. Car problems, babysitting schedules and in the writing realm: I am asking parents and students of mine for their testimonials and help in publicizing my Young Writers Summer Studio. I also requested and received help from one of my mentors, Christina Katz, with my local platform development.
- I also learned to slow down, a little. Baby steps, ya know? I scaled back on my responsibilities with Capitol City Young Writers, the nonprofit organization I volunteer with. I will be phasing out the job of creating, editing and sending the quarterly newsletter and picking up the task of managing their new young writers blog.
- Hugs! You can never give or receive too many…
What have you learned this week?