“The more tranquil a man becomes, the greater is his success, his influence, his power for good. Calmness of mind is one of the beautiful jewels of wisdom.”
1864-1912, Author of As A Man Thinketh
As I mentioned before, I like to “name” my year prior to January 1, so I know what I’m planning and can prepare to receive it. 2008 was dubbed “The Year of Success.” I achieved 7 out of my 10 main goals for 2008, proving that preplanning and commitment to the cause works!
In case you’re curious, here were my accomplished goals of 2008:
Step 1. List your Top Goals for 2008 (at least 10)
1. Get published on a regular basis. – DONE
2. Finish my first draft of novel. – DONE (well, started and completed draft of a new novel)
3. Begin my blog. – DONE, started 2
4. Teach children’s writing group at library (summer ’08)and obtain PR to promote it. – DONE
5. Reach my weight goal of 110lbs by March 26. – ugh, nope!
6. Attend a writers’ conference. – signed up for online conference, attended 2 “classes”
7. Conduct interviews for articles. – DONE
8. Learn to play tennis. –No
9. Buy a laptop. – DONE
10. Go on a family vacation. – DONE
For 2009, my Year of Zen, I aim to reach a place of calm, simplicity and overall health: body, mind, spirit. No easy feat, I know, but I am determined. Some of my goals include:
- Aeorbics 3x/wk; yoga or pilates 2x/wk to get toned and drop a dress size
- Limit fast food to once weekly
- Limit Starbucks (or similar) lattes to once monthly (yikes!)
- Download Tony Robbins Cd’s to ipod, listen daily
- Journal at least 5x/wk, i.e. gratitude journal
- Begin phase out of processed foods (one eliminated a month) and phase in organic eggs, meats and produce, (one added a month)
- Schedule monthly “girls’ nights”
- Look into company’s tuition reimbursement policy for BA college classes
- Focus: essays: parenting (MOPS themes); ACOA living/recovery; Exec. Asst. experiences and how-to’s
- Focus: articles: on teaching young writers; volunteer organizations (interview SuperSibs, Wings!, etc.); money saving tips for families
- Focus: fiction: market research literary magazines; revise 3 short pieces & find a home; revise NaNo novel
- Focus: FroG classes: complete winter 09 and fall 09 classes, asking students for more input
- Focus: Girls’ club classes: contact Anne after holidays
- Focus: intern or partnership opp’s with 826CHI and/or W.I.T.S.
- Take Abby’s Personal Essays class (through Writers on the Rise)
These are rough; some still need to go through the S.M.A.R.T. filter.
Please share! I’d love to hear what you are labeling the Year of 2009!